Details of National Thawheed Jammath (NTJ) Leader Zahran Hashim and the foreign intelligence received on 4th April 2019 on the possible terror attacks were made aware to nearly 15,000 people, including 8000 Police officers, by the 11th of April 2019, the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (PCoI) probing the Easter attacks was informed.
Former State Intelligence Service (SIS) Director Nilantha Jayawardena revealed this while testifying before the PCoI during the cross examination conducted by the lawyer representing the Archbishop of Colombo Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith.
Jayawardena said that the former IGP had earlier testified that the intelligence information was passed to 4 ranges of the Western Province Police Division, which consists of nearly 8000 Police officers in the Western Province.
The report was next referred to the security of all 225 Parliamentarians and Zahran must have been aware of this, but in reality, not just a mere 10,000 but almost 15,000 people in the country were aware of the intelligence report on the attacks, he said.
Jayawardena further revealed that all Embassies in the country were informed of the possible threat by the 20th of April 2019.
As the report was in my possession until 7th April 2019, I will take responsibility for the attack only till then, but after that the report was passed on to higher authorities, he said.
The former SIS Director said that foreign intelligence services were constantly informed on Zahran Hashim since 2016 by the SIS, but they failed to take action during this period. (NewsWire)
The post Sri Lanka former SIS Chief says by April 11 nearly 15,000 people knew intel about a possible terror attack appeared first on NewsWire.